SZ0991 : Bournemouth: The College

taken 10 years ago, near to Bournemouth, Great Britain

Bournemouth: The College
Bournemouth: The College
The college building dominates SZ0991 : Bournemouth: The Lansdowne roundabout and also housed the central library before its removal to purpose-built premises the other side of town (see SZ0891 : Bournemouth: central library) in 2002. The building is discussed in more detail here: SZ0991 : Bournemouth: Lansdowne clock tower.

From its inauguration in 1903, Bournemouth's Education Committee had hoped eventually to provide a centralised base for the science, art and technical schools that were dotted around the borough. They had previously had an offer to purchase land near here when they were considering future school sites; but the offer had depended on the approval of the Meyric Estates, which was not forthcoming. In the end, the Committee purchased two neighbouring properties, Peachley and Strathearn; Peachley being on the corner where the clock tower now stands and Strathearn its neighbour to the left as we look here. Following visits to several establishments nationwide, the Committee asked the Borough Engineer to draw preiminary plans for a building that would accommodate the full range of art, wood- and metalwork classes, science labs, technical workshops, domestic science and commercial subjects, along with a large hall, with an upper limit of 25,000.

Peachley and Strathearn were to be retained within the plans that were forthcoming; however, in January 1910 the Committee considered demolition of Peachley and also consulted the Libraries Committee with a view to including a central library within the proposed building. Erection of a clock tower was also agreed, costing 1,200, feeling that such a prominent building should be an architectural credit.

On 6 October 1910 the foundation stone was laid by the Mayor, Charles Hunt. Classes were expected to be moved into the building in September 1912 but in the event the building was not complete by then. The whole building was in use by March 1913, and the official opening ceremony took place on 29 May 1913.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SZ0991, 754 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 29 July, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 29 July, 2007
Category
College   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SZ 095 913 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:43.2965N 1:51.9392W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SZ 095 914
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 712 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register