TA1844 : St. Giles Church, Goxhill

taken 10 years ago, near to Goxhill, East Riding of Yorkshire, Great Britain

St. Giles Church, Goxhill
St. Giles Church, Goxhill
The smallest of the North Holderness parishes, Goxhill (thought to mean 'Cuckoo Hill') was united with the civil parishes of Great and Little Hatfield to form Hatfield parish in 1935, and may be the site of the lost village of Arnestorp recorded in 1086. A church existed at Goxhill by the early 13th century and was dedicated to St. Giles by 1412. The building has a history of falling into disrepair and being largely rebuilt again often at the expense of the Constable family of Wassand, some of whom are buried here (a floor stone with an inscription to Marmaduke Constable who died in 1690 is visible in the photograph). Major restoration work was carried out on the tower in October 2005.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Glazzard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TA1844, 42 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 3 August, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 5 August, 2007
Category
Church interior   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 185 448 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:53.1618N 0:11.8872W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 185 448
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register