SY2599 : Loughwood Meeting House, near Axminster

taken 9 months ago, near to Dalwood, Devon, Great Britain

Loughwood Meeting House, near Axminster
Loughwood Meeting House, near Axminster
Photo showing the building and burial ground.
Loughwood Meeting House, Dalwood, Devon
It is recorded that there was a Baptist meeting house on this site in 1653 although this building dates from the late 17th or early 18th century. The building was renovated in 1871 when the old thatched roof was replaced by a slated one. When the building was passed into the care of the National Trust in 1969, a complete restoration was carried out and this included the thatched roof being reinstated.

The Baptist congregation who met in the nearby village of Kilmington sought refuge from persecution in this remote place in 1653. Meeting here was illegal until the passing of the Toleration Act of 1688. The building is partially set into the hillside and at that time the area was thickly wooded, thus making it difficult to locate. It was 180 years before a Baptist congregation worshipped again overtly in Kilmington.

The guide booklet states, “The dense woodland surrounding the original meeting place has long since been cleared so that the clandestine nature of its setting can only be appreciated in the imagination, but the two retiring rooms beneath the gallery inside, and the stable in the burial ground outside, bear witness to the long distances that 'the persecuted people of God known as Baptists' were compelled to travel in order to worship with others according to their beliefs. Whole Sundays, necessitating fireplaces and simple cooking facilities, were spent here.”

Until 1844, the parish of Dalwood was an outlier of the county of Dorset surrounded by Devon. Loughwood Meeting House was on the boundary of the two counties and there is a local tradition that the choice of this site enabled a preacher to make good his escape into the neighbouring county whenever lookouts warned of approaching danger.

National Trust
A National Trust is an organization dedicated to preserving the cultural or environmental treasures of a particular geographic region. They generally operate as private non-profit organizations, although some receive considerable support from their national government. The first such organization was the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty, which is the National Trust of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, formed in 1895 and operating as a charitable organisation.

Extract from Wikipedia LinkExternal link

List of National Trust places LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Hawgood and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SY2599, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image Type ?
type:geograph 
Date Taken
Friday, 21 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 29 October, 2016
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Meeting House 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 2532 9926 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.2848N 3:3.6485W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SY 2526 9920
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Burial Ground 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register