TF9839 : Church of St Mary & Holy Cross, Binham Priory

taken 11 years ago, near to Binham, Norfolk, Great Britain

Church of St Mary & Holy Cross, Binham Priory
Church of St Mary & Holy Cross, Binham Priory
Rose window and bellcote. The 12th century building has a number of 21st century additions such as a new porch, various exhibits as well as toilet facilities. The aim is to ensure that the Priory is maintained in good condition as a spiritual site for worship, enlightenment and enjoyment, open to all in the best tradition of the Benedictine monks who built it nine hundred years ago. The west front > LinkExternal link and the west windows of the north aisle were blocked in some time between 1738 and about 1780 and there is evidence suggesting that the west window may be the earliest surviving use of bar tracery in Britain. The bellcote above was added in 1432. The north aisle of the church remained in use until the beginning of the nineteenth century long after the dissolution of the priory. The predominant style of architecture seen inside is Norman > LinkExternal link - dating from the 1130s, more than one hundred years earlier than the west front. The nave has always served as the parish church of Binham, but when the priory was dissolved during the Reformation of the 1530s the east wall was raised and a Tudor domestic window inserted in order to seal off the church so that the rest of the monastic church could be dismantled. After the north aisle was taken down and its arches filled in, the rood screen > LinkExternal link was removed and its beam and tracery destroyed. The dado (the lower painted panels) were put on one side while the work was undertaken. Only four plus one panel remain of the former 6 bays of the dado, and these have been moved about the church ever since. At some stage the saints depicted on the panels > LinkExternal link were overpainted by Bible texts. There are a number of C15 benches with pierced backs and carved poppy heads > LinkExternal link. The 15th century baptismal font > LinkExternal link is a so-called seven sacraments font, one of only 16 remaining in Norfolk and 12 in Suffolk. The design is not known from anywhere else.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF9839, 182 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 1 May, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 9 August, 2007
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 981 399 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:55.2076N 0:56.7679E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 981 399
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 40 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register