TF3579 : St. Michael's; Burwell, Lincs

near to Burwell, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St. Michael's; Burwell, Lincs
St. Michael's; Burwell, Lincs
In the Norman era, there was a priory of Benedictine monks here, founded by John de HAY. It was affiliated with the abbey at Bordeaux.

The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Michael, and is an ancient building of apparent Norman origin. The church was restored in 1911.

Anglican parish registers exist from 1586. As of late 2004, the registers have not been deposited in the Lincs. Archives, nor have they been filmed by the LDS Family History Library. And copies of the Bishop's Transcripts have not been deposited either.

Burwell is a village and a parish in the Wold Hills of Lincolnshire, situated on the Spilsby road 5 miles southeast of Louth, and 3 miles west of Authorpe. The parish covers just over 2,000 acres.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Telfer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF3579, 77 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for TF3579)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 11 September, 2005   (more nearby)
Monday, 12 September, 2005
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 355 797 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:17.8161N 0:1.8983E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 207 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved