SU8604 : Market Cross

taken 10 years ago, near to Chichester, West Sussex, Great Britain

Market Cross
Market Cross
Erected in 1501 by the Bishop of Chichester for poor people to hold markets. The cross appears to have once occupied a more spacious square at the meeting of North, South, West and East Streets but encroachment in the first few hundred years of its existence has reduced space. The cross lost most of its significance in 1808 when The Buttery market place was built in North Street and since then has become a meeting place at the centre of the city. During the post war period it had become "a first-rate traffic block" according to Pevsner but the building of inner and outer by-passes in the 1970s coupled with the pedestrianisation of North and East Street has improved its position. The red bricked road is the only traffic route through the centre of town now heading one way from South into West Street.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU8604, 764 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 11 August, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 12 August, 2007
Category
Cross   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 860 048 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:50.1913N 0:46.7531W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 860 048
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 85 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register