TQ3908 : Windmill at Kingston Hollow and South Downs

taken 1 year ago, near to Kingston Near Lewes, East Sussex, Great Britain

Windmill at Kingston Hollow and South Downs
Windmill at Kingston Hollow and South Downs
Viewed from near to the top of Lewes Castle looking towards the hills of the South Downs, this little white six-vaned windmill is quite a prominent landmark. It is not listed by English Heritage, so is presumably not very old, and aerial photographs suggest that it has a large modern building at its base (see LinkExternal link )
Kingston Near Lewes
Kingston is a small parish at the north western end of the lower Ouse valley and originally bordered the parishes of St Anne's (Without) to the north; Southover to the east; Iford to the south east; Rottingdean to the south west; and Falmer to the west. Part of the north-east corner bordering the Lewes-Newhaven road became Kingston Urban in 1894 and was transferred to Lewes in 1934. The land is made up of downland, the fertile greensand at the base of the scarp slope and an area of brookland reclaimed over the centuries from what was the tidal estuary of the River Ouse. The parish itself originated towards the end of the 12th century having initially been part of Iford. In the aftermath of the Norman invasion the manor of Kingston was given to one of William's main supporters, William de Warenne, he in turn instigated the building of Lewes Priory and gave some the lands to them which included a small parcel of land to build a church, dedicated like the priory to St Pancras.

The small village was an archetypal linear construction lying along a single street from the junction of lanes at the eastern end to the foot of the Downs at the west. The village street was surrounded by the three main fields of the village, known as laines, which was divided into subunits called furlongs which themselves were divided into individual strips sometimes known as selions. Three more smaller fields were added later straddling the Lewes-Newhaven road. Sheep were pastured both on the Downs and as reclamation gathered pace, on the brooks. A small open piece of land called Well Green acted as the local common. This system remained in operation until 1834 when all the fields were enclosed and the land was consolidated under a couple of landowners, later reduced to one, the Goring family based at Wiston House. The Gorings retained ownership until 1908 when the estate was broken up. From this point the village, which had been a poor rural parish throughout the 19th century, began to develop. After the First World War, plots were developed along Kingston Ridge whilst houses began to appear along Well Green Lane eventually reaching the junction with the Lewes-Newhaven road. Building increased after the war with new estates constructed between The Street and Kingston Ridge during the 1960s and 70s.

The main road through the parish actually skirts the village, this being the Lewes-Newhaven road an old north-south that connected the farms and villages that grew along the sheltered spring line of the western half of the lower Ouse valley. This ancient route became the A275 during the interwar years until it was downgraded to C status in the late 1970s to encourage traffic to take the newly designated A26 up the eastern side and avoid congestion in the narrow streets of Lewes. The road is known locally by its designation, the C7. Wellgreen Lane heads west from this road to the junction with The Street, whereupon it becomes Ashcombe Lane and heads north towards the A27 which it joins at Ashcombe Roundabout. Needless to say this route is a bit of a rat run used by many locals to avoid the centre of Lewes. A much more ancient route was the Jugg's Road which was part of the old Lewes-Brighton road that ran along the ridge of the South Downs and named after the baskets used by many women to carry fresh fish from the old fishing village of Brighton to the county town of Lewes. This road crosses Ashcombe Lane at Nan Kemp's Corner becoming Kingston Ridge before it climbs Kingston Hill. This route is now little more than a bridleway.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3908, 139 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 1 July, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 11 January, 2017
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Housing, Dwellings 
Primary Subject of Photo
Windmill 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 392 088 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:51.7547N 0:1.3626W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 413 100
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): cross grid 
This page has been viewed about 27 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register