SP2878 : St Oswald's Church, Jardine Crescent, Tile Hill, west Coventry interior and structure

taken 2 months ago, near to Eastern Green, Coventry, Great Britain

St Oswald's Church, Jardine Crescent, Tile Hill, west Coventry  interior and structure
St Oswald's Church, Jardine Crescent, Tile Hill, west Coventry interior and structure
While the outside of the church is austere, with the character of a hangar, the inside is light and light in spirit, lofty, enlivened and warmed by coloured and softer elements. Random coloured bands on the underside of the roof are a counterpoint to the rhythm of the cantilevered beams that support it. Their smoothness is a contrast to the no-fines concrete of the wall panels. The pendant light shades are each suspended almost invisibly by three wires from the roof while the catenary of the white electric cable from the wall appears at first glance to be the support for the lamp SP2878 : St Oswald's Church, Jardine Crescent, Tile Hill, west Coventry pendant light. Note the uplighter, and the organ pipes as mural sculpture.
St Oswald's Church, Tile Hill, Coventry
St Oswald's is one of the three local churches designed by Sir Basil Spence, architect of the new Coventry Cathedral. The others are the Church of St John the Divine, Willenhall, in the southeast of the city SP3676, and St Chad's Church, Wood End in the north SP3682. St Oswald's was built in 1957 and is celebrating its 60th year. It is listed Grade II, a rung on the ladder to restoring the bell tower.

The Vicar, Reverend Nicholas Leggett ("Father Nick") declared it to be the only High church in the city; as the leaflet puts it: "We pride ourselves on being Coventry's premier Anglo-Catholic parish it has the largest membership of any Anglo-Catholic church in the city and is growing and developing its work". More information at LinkExternal link

My thanks to Father Nick and Duane Harwood, Churchwarden for 20 years, for information and welcome.

Additional info from E Gammie, with thanks:
Bishop Gorton commissioned Spence to design the churches for new post-war housing estates. The money came from a war damage grant. Spence used the same structural elements for them all and arranged them differently dependent on the site layouts. Builder George Wimpey & Co. Ltd. St Oswald 1957-8. St Chad 1958. St John the Divine 1955-7. Churches to seat 250, halls to seat 100, vicarages adjoining. Cost 50,000 for the three.
Source: Coventry New Architecture, G Lewison & R Billingham 1969.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2878, 39 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image Type ?
type:inside 
Date Taken
Tuesday, 11 April, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 14 April, 2017
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Religious sites  Suburb, Urban fringe 
Period (from Tags)
1950s 
Place (from Tags)
Coventry 
Area (from Tags)
Tile Hill 
Postcode Area (from Tags)
CV4 
Building Material (from Tags)
Concrete 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2870 7884 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:24.4091N 1:34.7726W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2869 7883
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register