SK8314 : Church of St Andrew, Whissendine

taken 2 months ago, near to Whissendine, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of St Andrew, Whissendine
Church of St Andrew, Whissendine
West doorway and window. 14th century, late Decorated period with reticulated tracery in the window, but showing distinct signs of Perpendicular style in the tall surrounding arch.
Church of St Andrew, Whissendine
Certainly one of the finest village churches in the county of Rutland, it makes an imposing impression when approached from the west along the village's main street.

The current church originates from the 13th century, although there was clearly an earlier church on the site. At that time it comprised a 4-bay nave with aisles, chancel and north transept. The arcades, chancel arch and arch between chancel and transept all date from this period and show various degrees of decoration. A feature of the north arcade, which is slightly the earlier, is the faces peering from the foliage of the capitals, whereas the south arcade capitals are all plain. This side does however have unusual grotesques on the hood mould stops.

An additional bay was added to the nave and aisles, with the latter being widened, in the 14th century, culminating in the impressive west tower. This rises to over 100 feet and is in a style transitional between Decorated and Perpendicular. A feature of the tower is the asymmetrical layout of the west and south faces due to the stair built into the south west corner.

The south transept was also added at this time. The roof was lowered in the 17th century, probably when the chancel roof was rebuilt in 1640, resulting in the removal also of the top of the large Perpendicular window.

The clerestory was added, as was typical, in the 15th century, and it seems likely that much of the timber carving of the nave roof dates from this time, although restored in 1728. See also LinkExternal link .

The aisle windows were also inserted during the 15th century.

The north side of the nave showed signs of falling outwards at a later stage, probably in the 17th century, and bracing arches and buttress were added at this time. As the 6 bays of the clerestory did not match the 5 of the arcade, one of the buttresses runs into one of the clerestory window lights.

Apart from the 14th century font, the fittings inside the church are largely of Victorian or later date. The chancel was largely rebuilt between 1865 and 1870 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and this also saw the installation of the medieval screen from St John's College, Cambridge in the south aisle.

The only significant stained glass is the work in the east window by Kempe, part of the Victorian restoration.

The church is Listed Grade I.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8314, 183 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image Type ?
type:close look 
Date Taken
Sunday, 23 April, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 26 April, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
14th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8329 1430 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:43.1971N 0:46.0994W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8327 1431
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Doorway  Decorated Style  Reticulated Tracery 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 3 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register