SJ9295 : The George Kirkpatrick

taken 9 months ago, near to Denton, Tameside, Great Britain

The George Kirkpatrick
The George Kirkpatrick
The pub on the corner of Stockport Road and Manchester Road in the centre of Denton can be traced back to the late 18th century. Pigot's Trade Directory for 1824 lists it as the George III Inn, the new landlord at this time being Mark Cooke, who had replaced Gabriel Lupton during the course of the year. This suggests that the original premises were built sometime during the reign of King George III, which was from 1760 until 1820. In 1791, Gabriel Lupton purchased a plot of land on the east side of Ashton Road adjoining Crown Point on which he built shops and houses. It is possible that around this time he purchased the George III Inn and became its landlord. He was the landlord until 1824 when he was succeeded by Mark Cooke. The Manchester & Salford Trade Directory for 1832 lists Mark Cooke as the victualler of the King's Head and Gabriel Lupton as a retailer of beer but does not give the address of his premises. A reference to the King's Head in 1832 establishes that at some point between 1824 and 1832 the name of the inn was changed from George III to King’s Head. By 1865 the inn and three adjoining cottages had been leased to Timothy Harrison and in that year, when the lease expired, there was an auction at the inn to sell the land and properties. Thomas Chesters made the successful bid and by 1869 he had demolished the old buildings and erected much larger licensed premises on the corner of Manchester Road and Stockport Road. Henceforth, the premises were known as the King's Head Hotel.

The first landlord of the new premises was George Kirkpatrick who was also notable for his other business interest, the Denton Omnibus Company, which he operated from the King's Head. In 1874 George Kirkpatrick bought the Bowling Green Hotel on Manchester Road and moved there, taking his omnibus business with him, leaving his son, Robert, as the landlord of the King's Head. Robert remained landlord of the King's Head until 1900 and the next landlord was George Edward Savage.

In the 1970s the name King's Head came to be associated with Dennis Law, the "King of Football" and the inn sign displayed a portrait of him. In 1982 the premises were modernised and the name was changed to Kings Inn. Subsequently, it became Crown Point Inn after the name the junction. and then Last Orders .

For further information see: LinkExternal link

Although still part of the Last Orders chain it has recently been renamed the George Kirkpatrick after its first landlord.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9295, 571 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image Type ?
type:geograph 
Date Taken
Monday, 24 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 7 May, 2017
Geographical Context
Business, Retail, Services 
Date (from Tags)
1824  1791  1865  1874  1900  1982 
Person (from Tags)
Mark Cooke  Gabriel Lupton  Timothy Harrison  Thomas Chesters  George Kirkpatrick  George Edward Savage  Dennis Law 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9253 9549 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.3666N 2:6.8377W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9254 9550
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Public House  Denton Omnibus Company  Last Orders 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register