SO2459 : St Catherine

taken 5 months ago, near to Old Radnor, Powys, Great Britain

St Catherine
St Catherine
Detail from a late 15th-century window in the north aisle of St Stephen's Church. The Alexandrian saint is shown with the spiked wheel of her martyrdom, against a background of roses ensoleillées. Richard Haslam, in his Pevsner guide of 1979, found it "very engaging, for all its crudeness".
Church of St Stephen, Old Radnor
The Cadw listing describes the church as 'One of the finest medieval churches in Wales'. The fabric is essentially 15th century, although some earlier work survives from the church sacked by Owen Glyndwr in 1401/2. There were subsequent 19th century restorations, that of 1882 including rebuilding of the east end of the chancel, although the east window may follow the original design. It is the only authentic dedication to St Stephen in Wales, although it is thought that this may be a Norman confusion of the Welsh St Ystyffan with St Stephen the Martyr. Despite being in Wales, the church comes within the Diocese of Hereford, indicative of the complex nature of the Marches.

The church consists of a continuous nave and chancel, with north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The aisles extend as chapels alongside the chancel. The north aisle is slightly narrower of the two, the roof being a continuation of the nave roof. The south aisle has a separately ridged roof. There is an unusual unity of its Perpendicular style compared with other medieval churches due to the limited time-span of its construction.

The exterior of the church has no particular features to note, but the interior is different. A significant amount of late medieval timberwork remains. This includes the roofs to the nave and south aisle, contemporary with the building, the fine late 15th century chancel screen stretching the full width of the church, and the organ case, dating from the early 16th century and the earliest surviving organ case in the British Isles.

There are a number of fine monuments to the Lewis family of Harpton Court, and several other items of furnishings that are described with their pictures.

The church is Listed Grade I.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tiger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO2459, 152 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 30 June, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 5 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 2499 5910 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:13.4985N 3:5.9731W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 2499 5910
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register