NJ3663 : Control tower, RAF Dallachy, Moray

taken 2 years ago, near to Bogmoor, Moray, Great Britain

Control tower, RAF Dallachy, Moray
Control tower, RAF Dallachy, Moray
From LinkExternal link : "The brick and concrete two storey control tower (watch tower) is situated on the W side of the airfield about 397m NE of the Dallachy Strike Wing Monument. The tower now stands within a cultivated field.

The tower is of two storeys with a flat roof and measures about 11m x 10m with the viewing balcony facing NE towards the main runways. Both the balcony and roof are protected by metal guard rails. On the S elevation between the first floor and the roof is a metal ladder, which runs to and from small concrete platforms. The lower concrete platform also has a short metal guard rail.

Some of the upper openings have been blocked by breeze blocks whilst most of the others retain their metal window frames. On the E elevation is a large opening which now has a corrugated iron double door, probably for use by the local farmer. The entrances have all been blocked by corrugated iron sheeting.

The control tower would appear to have been built to drawing number 343/43."
RAF Dallachy
RAF Dallachy was constructed between 1942 and 1943 and flying began on 25th June 1943. Initially it was used by Flying Training Command flying Oxfords. Operational flying began the following year under Coastal Command. Dallachy Strike Wing comprised four Beaufighter squadrons with one each from the RAF and the air forces of Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Raids were conducted against shipping in the North Sea and along the Norwegian coast.

On 9th February 1945, known as Black Friday, nine Beaufighters, six of which were from the Canadian squadron, were lost on a raid at Førde Fjord in Norway against a destroyer, a mine sweeper and escorting vessels. The destroyer was blown up and the minesweeper damaged. This incident and all the Dallachy Strike Wing aircrew who died during the war are commemorated on the NJ3563 : Dallachy Strike Wing Memorial at Bogmoor village to the west of the airfield.

The airfield became a Territorial Army training base in November 1945 which continued until 1958. It was used for gliding in the 1980s and, at the time of writing (2017), part of the airfield is used
for flying by a model aircraft club.

Remains of the airfield which can still be seen include the two runways, much of the perimeter track, many hardstandings, part of the operations block and the control tower. A section of the perimeter track, to the north of the airfield, has been converted to public highway and is called Beaufighter Road.

Primary source: Action Stations 7, Military Airfields of Scotland, the North-East and Northern Ireland by David J Smith
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Claire Pegrum and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NJ3663, 8 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 31 July, 2016   (more nearby)
Sunday, 16 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Air transport  Derelict, Disused  Defence, Military 
Former (from Tags)
Control Tower  Watch Tower  WWII Airfield 
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NJ 36016 63310 [1m precision]
WGS84: 57:39.3076N 3:4.4303W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NJ 36039 63323
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register