SD3036 : The Duke of Lancaster's Regimental Band

taken 8 months ago, near to Blackpool, Great Britain

The Duke of Lancaster's Regimental Band
The Duke of Lancaster's Regimental Band

Having been granted Freedom of Entry to Blackpool, the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment have been marching around the town. At the end of the parade the band gathers opposite the North Pier.
Lions of England granted Freedom of Entry to Blackpool
On Wednesday the 19th July 2017 The Duke of Lancasterís Regiment, known locally as "The Lions of England", were granted Freedom of Entry to Blackpool. The Freedom bestows on them the right, privilege and honour of marching through the streets of Blackpool on ceremonial occasions with swords drawn, bayonets fixed, drums beating, bands playing and colours flying. Following the formal proceedings, soldiers paraded in front of North Pier where they were inspected by Blackpool Mayor Coun Ian Coleman accompanied by Brigadier Peter Rafferty, Colonel of the Regiment. They then exercised their new freedom by marching through the town centre via St Johnís Square and Talbot Road back to the Town Hall. Read more at: LinkExternal link
Blackpool North Pier
The oldest and longest of Blackpool's piers, North Pier was designed by Eugenius Birch and opened on May 21st 1863. A landing/fishing jetty was added in 1866 and extended in 1869, bringing the pier's length to 1410 feet.

The pier was damaged in 1867 by wreckage from Nelson's former flagship, the "Foudroyant", which had been moored off the pier for an exhibition. In the 1870s, the pier-head was enlarged and the Indian Pavilion and bandstand were built. There were further ship collisions with the pier in 1892 and 1897

The deck was widened in 1896, and shops and an arcade were added to the shoreward end in 1903. The Indian Pavilion was destroyed by fire in 1921, but a new pavilion was built, unfortunately also being destroyed by fire in 1938. However, a new 1500 seat theatre was completed in 1939. Also in the 1930s, the bandstand became the Carousel bar and Venetian sun lounge.

In the 1960s, amusements and the Merrie England bar were opened. In the 1980s, £350,000 was spent rebuilding the entrance in Victorian style, and in 1991, a 35 foot carousel and a pier tramway were installed. The pier suffered further, severe storm damage in December 1997, severing the jetty from the main structure and leaving the pier theatre perilously close to the edge.

In April 2011, the pier was sold by Six Piers Ltd to Blackpool family firm, Sedgwick's. Mr Sedgwick vowed to restore the pier to its former Victorian look, bring back its tram and remove the entrance tolls. The theatre was renovated and relaunched in November 2011.

A storm in December 2013 severely damaged the sun lounge, but it was repaired the following year.

Wikipedia: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD3036, 744 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 19 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Sunday, 23 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Coastal  People, Events  Defence, Military 
Place (from Tags)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3061 3637 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:49.1373N 3:3.3294W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3065 3637
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Parade  Duke of Lancasters Regiment  Military Band 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register