SS4497 : Whiteford Point Lighthouse

taken 9 months ago, 4 km from Burry Port, Carmarthenshire/Sir Gaerfyrddin, Great Britain

Whiteford Point Lighthouse
Whiteford Point Lighthouse
Cast-iron lighthouse built in 1865 by the Llanelli Harbour and Burry Navigation Commissioners to mark the shoals of Whiteford Point. It stands 13.4m in height and is constructed of eight courses of cast-iron plates. It remained in use until 1921, when the light was extinguished, and briefly had a second life between 1982 and about 1990 when it housed an automatic solar-powered beacon. Now disused and rather dilapidated, the lighthouse is Grade II listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Tyers and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SS4497, 13 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 26 June, 2017   (more nearby)
Saturday, 29 July, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Derelict, Disused 
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 4437 9726 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:39.1517N 4:15.0646W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 4441 9721
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): geograph  · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 9 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register