SK4641 : Bench mark, St Mary's Church, Ilkeston

taken 8 months ago, near to Ilkeston, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Bench mark, St Mary's Church, Ilkeston
Bench mark, St Mary's Church, Ilkeston
See LinkExternal link for location.
Bench Mark
Bench marks were historically used to record the height above sea level of a location as surveyed against the Mean Sea Level data (taken at Clarendon Dock, Belfast, for Northern Ireland data, Newlyn in Cornwall for data in Great Britain and Portmoor Pier, Malin Head, for data relating to the Republic of Ireland). They were used as part of a greater surveying network by the UK Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland (OSNI) and the Ordnance Survey Ireland (OSI). If the exact height of one bench mark is known then the exact height of the next can be found by measuring the difference in heights, through a process of spirit levelling. In this way hundreds of thousands of bench marks were sited all around the UK & Ireland from the mid 19th to late 20th centuries. There are several distinct types of bench mark:

- Fundamental bench marks have been constructed at selected sites where foundations can be set on stable strata such as bedrock. Each FBM consists of a buried chamber with a brass bolt set in the top of a granite pillar. See NG8825 : Dornie fundamental bench mark for an example. FBMs were used in Ireland as well as GB but those in Ireland do not have any surface markers, nor are they marked on standard maps.
- Flush brackets consist of metal plates about 90 mm wide and 175 mm long. Each bracket has a unique serial number. They are most commonly found on most Triangulation Pillars, some churches or on other important civic buildings. See J3270 : Flush Bracket, Belfast for an example.
- Cut bench marks are the commonest form of mark. They consist of a horizontal bar cut into a wall or brickwork and are found just about anywhere. A broad arrow is cut immediately below the centre of the horizontal bar. See J3372 : Bench Mark, Belfast for an example. The horizontal mark may be replaced by or contain a bolt - see J1486 : Bench Mark, Antrim.
Other marks include:
- Projecting bench marks such as SD8072 : Projecting Bracket Benchmark on St Oswald's Tower
- Bolt bench marks such as SJ1888 : OSBM bolt on Hilbre Island
- Rivet bench marks such as J3978 : Bench Mark, Holywood
- Pivot bench marks such as SJ2661 : Pivot bench mark on Leeswood Bridge

Bench marks are commonly found on older buildings or other semi-permanent features such as stone bridges or walls. Due to updated mapping techniques and technological advances such as GPS, bench marks are no longer maintained. Many are still in existence and the markers will probably remain until they are eventually destroyed by redevelopment or erosion.
Church of St Mary, Ilkeston
The church as it stands today mirrors the expansion of Ilkeston in the 19th century as an industrial town.

It comprises aisled nave with chancel and west tower, the chancel being flanked by a large former chantry chapel on the north side, and a substantial vestry on the south side.

As with many churches, the exterior is largely Victorian in character. By the middle of the 19th century, the medieval church was substantially dilapidated. The steeple had been destroyed by lightning in 1714 and the chancel roof collapsed in 1741. Major restoration completed in 1855 included the rebuilding of the tower and reconstruction of St Peter's Chapel on the north side of the chancel. This had also collapsed in 1714, and the fine 14th century arcade, blocked up since them, was opened up again.

In 1910 the nave was extended by three bays, the tower being dismantled and re-erected. The final stage of building was an expansion of the vestry on the south side of the chancel, completed in 1920 and dedicated as a war memorial.

Of particular note are:
- the three eastern bays of the south aisle arcade. Dating from the late 12th century in Transitional style, they have pointed arches but have Norman Chevron moulding and stiff-leaf decoration to the capitals. The equivalent bays on the north side are Early English, and were copied for the 1910 extension.
- the arcade into St Peter's Chapel, dated to 1386. The capitals are decorated with a remarkable series of Green Man faces.
- Early English 3-bay sedilia and attached piscina in the chancel
- the 13th century effigy of Nicolas de Cantelupe, also in the chancel

The church is Listed Grade II*.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4641, 198 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 28 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 2 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Construction, Development 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4652 4173 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:58.2549N 1:18.5246W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4652 4173
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 5 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register