NY2753 : Aikton Arms, Aikton, Cumbria - August 2017 (1)

taken 7 months ago, near to Aikton, Cumbria, Great Britain

Aikton Arms, Aikton, Cumbria - August 2017 (1)
Aikton Arms, Aikton, Cumbria - August 2017 (1)
Dating from 1729, the Aikton Arms is the only survivor of the three pubs once found in the village of Aikton. Formerly the "Joiners Arms", it was under State Management from a currently undiscovered date (probably 1916) until sold in 1973 for £5,500. The other pubs in the village closed before 1916.

See also: NY2753 : Aikton Arms, Aikton, Cumbria - August 2017 (2) and NY2753 : Aikton Arms, Aikton, Cumbria - August 2017 (3) .

Photograph is for record only - I have no connection with this business and cannot advise on its products or services.
The State Managed Pubs & Breweries of Carlisle and District :: NY4459
To supply munitions for the Great War, a huge complex was constructed north of Carlisle. Starting in the autumn of 1915, some 10-12,000 “navvies” built a glycerine plant at Dornock between Eastriggs and Annan, while a distilled ether plant was erected between Mossband and Longtown. Eventually stretching some 7 miles long by 2 miles deep with 17 miles of perimeter fencing, at its peak it employed some 20,000 people – mainly women but with a considerable number of male construction workers.
Unfortunately, the influx of “navvies” gave rise to serious drunkenness problems in the City of Carlisle. While Carlisle had some 120 licensed premises in 1916, many were small, one-roomed affairs which simply could not cope with the crowds. Also, the local Constabulary were greatly pressed, with 953 convictions for drunkenness in 1916 (compared with 250 in 1914/15). In addition, there was concern a “tired and emotional” worker could accidentally reduce the area to a very large hole in the ground!
The Government’s answer was to “nationalise” all the pubs and breweries in Carlisle, a process begun in July 1916 and which quickly extended out to Longtown in the east and Maryport in the south-west. Pubs around Gretna and Eastriggs were also included. All were under the control of a local Board, based at 19 Castle Street, Carlisle (now a bookshop), which imposed strict opening hours, a maximum (and very low) alcoholic content for beer and spirits, and a ban on “treating” (buying a round for your mates).
Many old or inadequate pubs were quickly closed. But the scheme did not end with the cessation of hostilities on 11 November 1918, with the last pub – the White Swan in Wigton – only being acquired in January 1921. Indeed, Government control of these pubs and breweries continued until 1971, with return to private ownership not completed until 1973.
As the Scottish pubs soon moved to the control of a local Board, this Shared Description is intended to cover only the pubs and breweries purchased by the Scheme in what is now north-west Cumbria, or built in the years 1916-1971 – or what may now be found on the site (if anything). Many have closed – some have been demolished and some are under new developments or even roads! But there is one excellent book on the subject – “The Carlisle State Management Scheme” by the late Olive Seabury (Bookcase – 2007 – currently out of print), while “Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916” by Steven Davidson (P3 Publications – 2004 – also out of print) is a very useful starting point. Also, the web sites: “The State Management Story” LinkExternal link (not regularly updated) and Wikipedia at: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NY2753, 12 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 17 August, 2017   (more nearby)
Thursday, 17 August, 2017
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Business, Retail, Services 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 274 539 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:52.5073N 3:7.9110W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 274 539
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image Type (about): geograph  (Fourth Visitor for NY2753)
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register