NZ5116 : Granite Urn, Stewart Park

near to Marton, Middlesbrough, Great Britain

Granite Urn, Stewart Park
Granite Urn, Stewart Park
This granite urn was erected by Henry Bolckow, the wealthiest and most powerful local ironmaster, to mark the spot where Capt. James Cook was born in the old village of Marton. Henry Bolckow had decided to build his new house on this site and promptly relocated the villagers into new houses built on Marton Road 500m to the south west NZ5115 : Row of Cottages, Marton Road.
The Bolckows moved into their new mansion, Marton Hall, in 1858. In 1878 the estate passed to Bolckow's nephew Carl who managed to continue to lead an extravagant lifestyle despite the boom years of the iron industry being over. By 1907 the hall was empty, all fixtures being sold to pay off his debts. Apart from the billeting of troops during WW1 it was never lived in again. The estate was brought in 1925 by Thomas J Stewart who presented it to Middlesbrough as a park. In 1960 a fire broke out and the hall was reduced to ashes. The steps and stonework in the photo are all that remains.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mick Garratt and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ5116, 17 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 September, 2005   (more nearby)
Sunday, 18 September, 2005
Marker   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 516 162 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:32.3068N 1:12.2406W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 150 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved