SD6828 : Display Board at Temple Court, Blackburn

taken 4 months ago, near to Blackburn, Blackburn With Darwen, Great Britain

Display Board at Temple Court, Blackburn
Display Board at Temple Court, Blackburn
This photo shows the display board in Temple Court just North of Blackburn Cathedral. It has the following wording on it:

Blackburn Cathedral, formerly the parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, became a Cathedral in 1926. It was William Temple, when he was Bishop of Manchester, who decided that Blackburn parish Church should become the Cathedral for the new Diocese. One of the reasons for this was the large churchyard which fell away to the East providing opportunity to develop a large undercroft with a number of rooms.
A scheme was drawn up in 1933 by Architect W.A.Forsyth which included a huge central tower. The foundation stone for the extension was laid in 1938. However, plans were interrupted by the outbreak of war.
It was not until 1950 that work could recommence, but by then inflation and rising costs meant the original scheme would need rethinking.
Architect Lawrence King was appointed in 1961 and new plans were drawn up. The design was adapted to include the iconic Lantern Tower with the Sanctuary directly beneath. The interior scheme was finished in 1977, and in 1996 the Lantern Tower was rebuilt in natural stone with new stained glass.
Plans for a further redevelopment, Cathedral Court, began in 2000 with the aspiration to realise William Temple's vision first set out in 1933 for a Cathedral that meets the changing needs of the 21st Century.
For 14 years the Cathedral Chapter has worked in partnership with the Borough Council and others to regenerate the Cathedral precinct and surrounding area to include a residential development bringing the Cathedral staff to live on site, a high quality office building, hotel and public gardens.
The development was completed in Autumn 2015, creating a new identity, a place, a heart ....
Cathedral Quarter

Below this wording from left to right are eight photos dating between 1933 and 2015
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Hillas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD6828, 256 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 18 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 21 August, 2017
Geographical Context
City, Town centre 
Place (from Tags)
Blackburn  Blackburn Cathedral 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6836 2802 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:44.8551N 2:28.8754W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6836 2805
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Display Board 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 8 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register