NJ5815 : Balfluig Castle

near to Alford, Aberdeenshire, Great Britain

Balfluig Castle
Balfluig Castle
Built in 1556, this L-plan tower house was the seat of a branch of the Forbes clan which was the principal clan in the Howe of Alford, but was sold to a Farquharson in 1753. It is a Category A listed building. Local tradition apparently relates that at one time there was another castle near enough for the respective lairds to shoot at one another from their windows, until one laird killed the other, regretting the deed for the rest of his life. It was restored in 1998 and can be rented as self-catering holiday accommodation.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Anne Burgess and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2007
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NJ5815, 20 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Fourth Visitor for NJ5815)
Date Taken
Sunday, 9 September, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 9 September, 2007
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NJ 586 150 [100m precision]
WGS84: 57:13.4586N 2:41.1860W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NJ 586 151
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 690 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register