SJ9398 : Portland Basin

taken 6 months ago, near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, Great Britain

Portland Basin
Portland Basin

In the foreground is the Wooden Canal Boat Lilith SJ9398 : Lilith at Portland Basin. On the left is the packhorse bridge over the entrance to the Peak Forest Canal under which the narrowboat Buckingham has entered the Ashton Canal. In the background is Junction Mill chimney.
Ashton Canal
The Ashton Canal runs eastwards from Manchester to Ashton under Lyne. It links the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and Peak Forest Canal with the Rochdale Canal and Bridgewater Canal and forms part of the "Cheshire Ring".

The original scheme was completed in 1796, running from a large basin behind what is now Piccadilly Station in Manchester, climbing gradually eastwards via 18 locks to Fairfield, Droylsden. From there one level section continued eastward to Whitelands Basin, Ashton under Lyne, while another arm headed north through what is now Daisy Nook, climbing another eight locks to Hollinwood, with a branch running east from Daisy Nook towards Park Bridge. A short arm from Portland Basin crossed the River Tame to Dukinfield. A year later an additional branch from Clayton to Stockport was opened.

The short link between Ashton Canal Basin at Piccadilly and the Rochdale Canal was not opened until 1800, when disputes about canal tolls and responsibility for paving the streets around the basins were resolved.

The Peak Forest Canal, opened in 1800, joined the Ashton Canal by way of the Dukinfield spur across the aqueduct over the Tame at Portland Basin.

The Hollinwood Branch Canal closed in sections between 1932 and 1961. The Stockport Branch Canal was closed in 1962.

History: LinkExternal link
Peak Forest Canal
The Peak Forest Canal runs for 15 miles between Ashton under Lyne and Whaley Bridge.

It was built to link the Ashton Canal with the tramways that brought limestone from the Peak District quarries.

The Lower Peak Forest Canal forms part of the "Cheshire Ring".

LinkExternal link Pennine Waterways website including a "virtual tour" of the canal
LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link for information on the history of the canal
Junction Mill Chimney
The octagonal chimney, 210 feet (64m) high with an unusual tulip-shaped top was built in 1867 to serve Samuel Heginbottom's cotton-spinning mill which operated from 1831 to 1930. The mill itself was eventually demolished and replaced in recent years with canalside apartments called "Boatmans Walk". In 2000 the chimney was bought by Tameside Council and restored.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9398, 555 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 23 April, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 28 September, 2017
Geographical Context
Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Ashton Canal 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9347 9843 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.9529N 2:5.9921W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9349 9845
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Bridge  Canal  Mill Chimney  Canal Junction  Canal Basin  Narrowboat  Wooden Canal Boat 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register