SO3764 : St Mary, Byton

taken 1 month ago, near to Byton, Herefordshire, Great Britain

St Mary, Byton
St Mary, Byton
The simple interior. Rebuilt in 1859 on an ancient site with a turbulent history, the church has seen very little, if any, change. The oil lamps still light the building, and although the cast iron heating stove is no longer in use, it is still complete.

The Saxon Church was rebuilt by the Normans. Raids by Welsh Princes destroyed Bytonís Churches in 1262 and 1402, but they were rebuilt, and the manor prospered in spite of the Black Death. The 15th Century Church survived until a fire in 1857. Pevsner credits the design of the present church to Thomas Nicholson.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Pankhurst and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO3764, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 October, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 16 October, 2017
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Uplands  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3709 6415 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:16.3133N 2:55.4028W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3708 6414
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register