SP2764 : Bus Station, Market Street and beyond, Warwick

taken 4 months ago, near to Warwick, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Bus Station, Market Street and beyond, Warwick
Bus Station, Market Street and beyond, Warwick
The modest bus station on the site of a car park has proved a useful amenity in the town centre. Market Street turns to meet Bowling Green Street. Across the road is Martinique Square, flats on the site of a pub with a bowling green at one time. At lower right is an octagonal showroom, rather odd. Distant roofs catching the light, left of centre, are Warwick Racecourse stands. The view is from the third floor of Westgate House, offices of the South Warwickshire Clinical Commissioning Group and venue for its Public and Patient Participation Group the 3PG.
The centre of Warwick :: SP2864
Warwick is among the smallest of Britain's county towns. Had it not been for the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694, the centre of the town today might look like Stratford-upon-Avon or Henley-in-Arden with their abundant black-and-white timber-framed buildings. The fire began in a baker's shop (as did the Great Fire of London) and spread rapidly. It caused damage estimated at 90,000 and made 250 families homeless. In the Georgian period the centre of the town was rebuilt in brick and stone; some street lines were altered. Old Square, for example, was laid out to provide a better approach and setting for St Mary's Church. Further changes were brought about by the extension of Warwick Castle gardens.

Much of St Mary's Church had been destroyed in the Great Fire. Completed around 1394 it succeeded a Norman foundation which in all likelihood replaced a Saxon church. After the fire St Mary's was rebuilt in stone quarried from the churchyard although the planned tower, showing early signs of failure, was rebuilt to the west in a harder sandstone from nearby Shrewley. The siting creates a focal point in the views down Northgate Street and up Church Street. The church was completed by 1706, a light and lofty Georgian interpretation of the mediaeval style. The tower at 53 metres high (174 feet) is both a landmark and a fine viewpoint.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2764, 263 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 27 July, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 October, 2017
Geographical Context
Lowlands  City, Town centre 
Place (from Tags)
Warwick 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2797 6481 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:16.8437N 1:35.4862W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2800 6484
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Postcode Area CV34  Road Junction  Mixed Use  Bus Station 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): cross grid 
This page has been viewed about 7 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register