SH4379 : Llangwyllog station, Anglesey

taken 13 years ago, near to Llangwyllog, Isle of Anglesey/Sir Ynys Mon, Great Britain

Llangwyllog station, Anglesey
Llangwyllog station, Anglesey
Amlwch, on the north coast of the Island of Anglesey, is today a sleepy seaside resort but was once the copper mining capital of the world with the biggest seaport in Wales. The Anglesey Central Railway built a 15 mile branch line which opened for passengers in 1867 and in 1953 it was extended one mile to Associated Octel Coy's oil terminal. There were six passenger trains serving Amlwch on weekdays in September 1964 with most of these operating from Bangor but three months later all were withdrawn. In 1993 Associated Octel decided to use road transport and it hasn't seen a train since. There have been proposals to reopen the line for industry and as a heritage line and Sustrans have plans to develop a cycleway alongside the track.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ralph Rawlinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH4379, 32 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 19 March, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 21 September, 2005
Category
Railway station (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 436 790 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:17.0898N 4:20.8521W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SH4379) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 1094 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register