TL0876 : Molesworth Peace Chapel

near to Brington, Cambridgeshire, Great Britain

Molesworth Peace Chapel
Molesworth Peace Chapel
RAF Molesworth in Cambridgeshire was designated in the 1980s as a site for nuclear-armed American cruise missiles, and the site for a "rainbow village" peace camp. A "peace chapel" was built near the base entrance, and consecrated by the Bishop of Huntingdon. The peace camp (of about 150 people) was evicted in February 1985, in a military operation that allegedly used 1500 Royal engineers, 600 Ministy of Defence police and 1,000 civil police. The chapel was part of the land enclosed by barbed and razor wire, and it was demolished later in the year.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright S Parish and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL0876, 16 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for TL0876)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
May 1985   (more nearby)
Thursday, 22 September, 2005
Chapel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 08 76 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 52:22.5483N 0:24.4542W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 331 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted