NZ5610 : Rear of The Friends School

near to Great Ayton, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Rear of The Friends School
Rear of The Friends School
The North of England Agricultural School was founded in 1841 by the local society of Quakers for the "labouring classes of those who are in any way connected with our Society", which actually meant those children from Quakers who married outside the faith. The children were taught in the skills of farm labourers and domestic staff. Eventually it became the private school known as The Friends School but still retained its Quaker principles. It closed in the final decade of the 20th century and this picture was taken in 1998 prior to the site's residential development. The building pictured is still standing and has been named Richardson Hall after Thomas Richardson a Quaker businessman who gave 5000 of the 6500 cost of the original school. Further reading: LinkExternal link
and LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mick Garratt and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ5610, 118 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
1998   (more nearby)
Thursday, 29 September, 2005
School   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 564 106 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:29.2569N 1:7.8541W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 169 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved