NY2548 : The Monument, Wigton

near to Wigton, Cumbria, Great Britain

The Monument, Wigton
The Monument, Wigton
Wigton was originally a wool trading town, but now its major employer is Innovia films. In the market place is an elaborate 19th Century fountain erected in 1872 by George Moore of Whitehall in Mealsgate, in memory of his wife. It is built of granite, and features four fine bronze reliefs of the Acts of Mercy by the Pre-Raphaelite sculptor Thomas Woolner. On the north side (opposite the Kings Arms) is 'Visiting the Afflicted', the east illustrates 'Clothing the Naked', the south has 'Instructing the Ignorant', and the west side has 'Feeding the Hungry'. Above each bronze is a small granite carving of the face of Mrs Moore, surrounded by leaves.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Monckton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NY2548, 101 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for NY2548)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 2 October, 2005   (more nearby)
Sunday, 2 October, 2005
Town centre   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 254 483 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:49.4379N 3:9.7583W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 255 483
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1045 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
please support us