SO8318 : Greyfriars, Gloucester

near to Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Greyfriars, Gloucester
Greyfriars, Gloucester
This was the house of the order of Friars minore (Franciscans or Greyfriars) which was founded c1231 by Thomas, Lord Berkeley. The present remains are the 16th century rebuilding of the nave and north aisle. After the Dissolution the church was converted into tenements and workshops. The west end was rebuilt in the 18th century with a fine facade facing Mary de Crypt. Nothing remains of the conventual buildings which lay to the south of the church. Today the remains are in the care of English Heritage.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Stowell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO8318, 1101 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Sunday, 2 October, 2005   (more nearby)
Thursday, 6 October, 2005
Historic building   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 831 183 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:51.7813N 2:14.8095W
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 332 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved