SO8629 : Latin inscription, Odda's Chapel

taken 10 years ago, near to Deerhurst, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Latin inscription, Odda's Chapel
Latin inscription, Odda's Chapel
Odda's Chapel at Deerhurst can be dated precisely due to the discovery of an inscribed stone nearby in 1675, the original is now in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. A copy of it can be found in the chapel, the Latin inscription translates as: 'Earl Odda ordered this royal chapel to be built and dedicated in honour of the Holy Trinity, for the soul of his brother Aelfric who left his body in this place. Ealdred, Bishop of Worcester, dedicated it on the second of the Ides of April in the fourteenth year of the reign of Edward, King of the English' 12 April 1056.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO8629, 89 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 29 December, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 29 December, 2007
Category
Historical item   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 869 298 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:57.9912N 2:11.5075W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 869 298
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 260 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register