SU7886 : Hambleden Church

taken 11 years ago, near to Hambleden, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Hambleden Church
Hambleden Church
The Norman church had a central tower which collapsed in 1703 and a new tower was built at the west end in 1721, and heightened in the early 1880's. The tower holds eight bells. The oldest is one of the few pre-Reformation bells still in use and may have first been rung at about the time of the victory at Agincourt (1415). The treble and Sanctus bells are thought to have been cast from the bells at nearby Fingest church, lost by the rector in a game of cards.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mark Percy and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU7886, 86 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 1 September, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 5 January, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 784 866 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:34.3696N 0:52.2079W
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for SU7886)
This page has been viewed about 189 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register