TA0489 : St Mary's Church, Scarborough

taken 10 years ago, near to Scarborough, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

St Mary's Church, Scarborough
St Mary's Church, Scarborough
The church of St Mary's (1170-1200) was originally built with imposing twin towers possibly by the Masons at the Castle. Extensions and alterations, including the removal of the twin towers, were carried out during the fourteenth century. The Central Tower and the Chancel were destroyed by artillery during the Civil War when the Parliamentarians used the Church for their batteries to attack the Royalist held Castle. The existing tower was rebuilt in 1670.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Maigheach-gheal and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TA0489, 489 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 16 October, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 6 January, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 047 890 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:17.1927N 0:23.5891W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 047 890
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register