SK6843 : The old Gunthorpe Toll bridge

taken 10 years ago, near to Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

The old Gunthorpe Toll bridge
The old Gunthorpe Toll bridge
Looking from the south side to the abutment and toll cottage on the far bank. The information board states that the bridge was opened in 1875 following approval of a Parliamentary Bill (necessary to authorise the collection of tolls). As the project was relatively undersubscribed, only a relatively lightweight bridge could be built. limiting the traffic that could be carried. This was nevertheless an improvement on the previous ferry. With the growth of 20th Century traffic, the bridge was clearly inadequate. The County Council bought out the toll rights and built the present bridge which was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1927. It formed part of a brand new road linking the A46 with the A617, providing a route north for heavy traffic avoiding Loughborough and Nottingham.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6843, 141 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 January, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 8 January, 2008
Category
Bridge   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 684 437 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:59.1764N 0:58.9006W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 684 435
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 124 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register