SO1091 : Church of St Mary, Newtown

taken 10 years ago, near to Newtown/Y Drenewydd, Powys, Great Britain

Church of St Mary, Newtown
Church of St Mary, Newtown
The first record of this church dates from 1253 when it appears as the Chapelry of the Church of Llanwllchaiarn. In 1291 it became the parish church of the town which was then known as Llanfair-yng-nghedewain. The massive square stone tower with wooden belfry is typical of Montgomeryshire churches and may have been erected about a hundred years later.
The church stands on the banks of the Severn and was abandoned for worship in 1856, after the building of St David's, as it had become too small for the congregation and, being subject to flooding, was in a bad state of repair.
The elaborate tomb on the south wall is that of Robert Owen, a Newtown born social reformer and founder of the Co-operative Movement.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Penny Mayes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO1091, 495 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 7 November, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 19 January, 2008
Category
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 108 918 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:31.0171N 3:18.8775W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 108 918
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 314 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register