SD4606 : Sandy Lane, Old Skelmersdale

taken 12 years ago, near to Skelmersdale, Lancashire, Great Britain

Sandy Lane, Old Skelmersdale
Sandy Lane, Old Skelmersdale
Shops and businesses in Sandy Lane, Old Skelmersdale, to the east of Ormskirk, an old coal mining village that became a New Town in the 1960s. 'Skem', as its locally called, was mentioned in the Domesday Book has a very long and interesting history. Dating back to 55 BC the Town was used as a resting place for Roman soldiers marching from Wigan to the harbour at Crosby on the River Mersey. Some 20 years ago a great quantity of Roman coins was discovered buried at Ottershead Farm. Skelmersdale lies in the shadow of Ashurst Beacon, where the District Council have created Beacon Country Park.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Sue Adair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD4606, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 15 October, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 17 October, 2005
Category
Village street   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 466 061 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.9282N 2:48.4450W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 465 063
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 1512 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register