NG3963 : Uig Free church/Eaglais Shaor Uige

taken 21 years ago, near to Uig, Highland, Great Britain

Uig Free church/Eaglais Shaor Uige
Uig Free church/Eaglais Shaor Uige
Although a number of reputable sources, including John Gifford's Pevsner guide, date this building to 1847, contemporary records tell us that construction began only in 1860. The foundation stone was laid on 11th June that year and the completed church was opened on 10th September 1861, according to reports in the Inverness Advertiser. The site, in its commanding position overlooking Uig Bay, was donated by the local landowner Captain Fraser (though he was not an adherent of the Free Church) and the architects were Alexander Ross and William Cumming Joass who were at that time in partnership in Inverness. The tower, "with a Frenchy roof topped by wrought-iron cresting" as John Gifford puts it, is probably a later 19th-century addition.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tiger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NG3963, 152 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
October 1996   (more nearby)
Saturday, 26 January, 2008
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NG 397 634 [100m precision]
WGS84: 57:35.1492N 6:21.3824W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NG 396 634
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 133 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register