SP0135 : Dumbleton Hall

taken 10 years ago, near to Dumbleton, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Dumbleton Hall
Dumbleton Hall
Dumbleton Hall viewed from near Dumbleton church to the east of the hall. The building was begun in 1830 for Edward Holland and was designed by George Stanley Repton. The hall replaced the original Dumbleton Hall which can be traced back to around 1534 and was the home of the Cocks family for over 200 years. In the late 18th century after the death of Sir Richard Cocks the hall fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished. During the 1930's the hall was a popular venue for house parties with regular guests including John Betjeman, later Poet Laureate, and the Mitford sisters. Today the hall is a hotel and its website suggests 'that Hitler 'reserved' the Hall as a private residence upon his victory in Europe'. For the hotel website see: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP0135, 113 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 2 February, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 3 February, 2008
Category
Hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 013 356 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:1.1400N 1:58.9043W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 016 357
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 110 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register