NT4935 : The mill lade in Paton Street

taken 10 years ago, near to Galashiels, Scottish Borders, Great Britain

The mill lade in Paton Street
The mill lade in Paton Street
The site of Mid Mill, built in 1793 and demolished in 1948, but the stone foundation and channel of the waterwheel remain. The site was previously occupied by one of three waulkmills in existence in 1581. The clock tower in the background forms part of the Burgh Buildings. The three mill lades in the town, this being the main one, are a reminder of the times when the Gala Water powered the textile mills. 28 weaving mills once operated along the Gala Water valley, but a decline in the textile industry set in after the Second World War, and the majority of the mill buildings have been demolished or renovated for multiple occupancy.
(Source: information plaque on site and Pevsner Architectural Guide - Borders).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Walter Baxter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT4935, 273 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 3 February, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 4 February, 2008
Category
Water feature   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 4937 3593 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:36.8590N 2:48.3214W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 4939 3592
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 87 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register