TQ5586 : Upminster Windmill

taken 36 years ago, near to Upminster, Havering, Great Britain

Upminster Windmill
Upminster Windmill
Upminster windmill was built in 1803 by James Nokes, Upminster's smock mill continued in use until 1920s. After the death of Clement Abraham, in September 1935, his brothers and co-owners Thomas and Alfred offered it for sale. Essex County Council placed a preservation order on it in 1937, eventually acquiring the mill in 1940. thanks to a public appeal the mill was restored by 1950 but decayed again over the next decade. The adjoining mill buildings were demolished in 1960 but the mill received the necessary maintenance work a couple of years later, before passing to the London Borough of Havering in 1964.

LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Christine Matthews and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5586, 120 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
August 1981   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 9 February, 2008
Category
Windmill > Windmill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 557 867 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:33.4994N 0:14.6872E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 557 867
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for TQ5586) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 170 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register