TG3010 : The church of SS Gervase and Protase - tower and porch

taken 10 years ago, near to Great Plumstead, Norfolk, Great Britain

The church of SS Gervase and Protase - tower and porch
The church of SS Gervase and Protase - tower and porch
The church in Little Plumstead is the only church in England dedicated to SS Gervasius and Protasius - it is presumed that the day of laying out the church plan, or the day of its consecration fell on the saints' feast day. The round-towered church > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link - adjoining the former Hall > LinkExternal link which in 1929 was converted into a hospital and is presently awaiting demolition - dates from the 12th century (the core of its walls is Norman) and was extensively restored in the 19th century; furnishings, window glass and font date from this time. The old 17th century font > LinkExternal link which was replaced by a 19th century font > LinkExternal link now stands beside the south porch and serves as a bird bath. The east window (dated to c 1850) is a memorial to Admiral Stephens, who served in the Navy during the Napoleonic wars and became Admiral in 1837. The east window > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link displaced glass panels which had been inserted by the Revd Charles Penrice. They can now be seen in the south chancel window > LinkExternal link. Some of these panels are by Robert Allen (1834) of Lowestoft, who worked at the Lowestoft porcelain factory and made glass painting his hobby > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link. The small roundels > LinkExternal link and the square panels depicting arms are believed to have been made by Samuel Yarrington of Norwich, who created enamelled glass (not true stained glass). There are several 18th and 19th century memorial tablets > LinkExternal link. A large monument to the Yarmouth apothecary and art collector Thomas Penrice and his wife Hannah and their family, who lived in the neighbouring Hall, is located on the north wall > LinkExternal link. (This information was taken from "A History of SS Gervase and Protase - Little Plumstead", compiled by Richard L Hale and published by the Church in the Plumsteads.) The church is kept locked. See also: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG3010, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 11 February, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 11 February, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 307 108 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:38.7873N 1:24.5651E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 307 108
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 102 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register