SD9104 : Hartford Mill, Oldham

taken 10 years ago, near to Oldham, Great Britain

Hartford Mill, Oldham
Hartford Mill, Oldham
Listed Grade II (really). Demolition appears to be imminent. The urban explorers have been all over it and the vandals have trashed it.
Built 1907 by the Hartford Mill (Oldham) Co Ltd. Extended 1920 and 1924. Closed 1959 and used by Littlewoods as a mail order warehouse until 1992.
Architect was F W Dixon, there were 120,000 spindles and power was provided by a very impressive 1500 hp Urmson & Thompson engine.
Hartford Mill
Built in 1907 to the design of F.W.Dixon, this is one of the few mills in Oldham to have listed building status. Listed Grade II.
The following is taken from the English Heritage listing:
"Cotton spinning mill. 1907. By FW Dixon for the Hartford Mill (Oldham) Company Ltd. Extended 1920 and 1924.
Probably cast-iron and steel-framed with concrete flooring,
and brick walls with large areas of window. Steam powered with rope transmission. 4 and 5 storeys accommodating to sloping site, 25 bays long and 12 bays wide. Corners of main building stressed with wider pilasters between the windows, otherwise ornamentation confined to tower which projects from NW corner and rises 2 stages above main roofline, in heavy Baroque style with stone dressings, including chamfered cornice below lantern-like upper storey possibly missing former dome.
Additional stair tower in centre of north elevation, with
stone pedimented cornice. Wide windows to each bay, with panelled pilasters to upper storey only. Present loading bays in north east range. Single-storeyed extension to card room along south elevation.
Power transmission at SW of main block, the engine house projecting and expressed as 5 window range and 3 storeys. Rope race in western elevation, which has triple central windows flanked by blind panels with pilasters at angles. Boiler house detached to west of mill, and chimney to south of engine house, with mill name and corbelled bands in white brick."
Sadly, earlier plans to develop it for housing and workshops failed to materialise and it is now in a condition where refurbishment is unlikely to be viable. The engine was one of the largest locally, being an 1800hp twin tandem compound engine by Urmson and Thompson, reputedly the only one of this configuration built by this firm. The engine house is lined with superb Art Nouveau style glazed tiles.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD9104, 63 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 16 February, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 18 February, 2008
Category
Mill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 911 045 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.2243N 2:8.1454W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 910 044
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for SD9104)
This page has been viewed about 1131 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register