NT0580 : Blackness Castle

taken 10 years ago, near to Blackness, Falkirk, Great Britain

Blackness Castle
Blackness Castle
The distinctive ship design of Blackness Castle seen from the landing jetty; the left tower was known as the Stem Tower, the right as the Stern Tower. Probably built in the 15th century it became a royal castle in 1453 when James II of Scotland annexed the surrounding lands. For much of its history it has been used as a prison, holding French prisoners of war in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Taylor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT0580, 150 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
July 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 22 February, 2008
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 0561 8019 [10m precision]
WGS84: 56:0.3195N 3:30.9150W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 0565 8030
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 29 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register