NZ3769 : Tynemouth Priory

near to Tynemouth, North Tyneside, Great Britain

Tynemouth Priory
Tynemouth Priory
Tynemouth Priory was a Benedictine Priory built in 1090 and in active use until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539 by Henry VIII. The site then became part of Henry VIII's scheme for national defence. Fortifications extended from Sunderland to Blyth by the early 20th century but now only a small fraction remains of the priory as well as the castle and coastal defences. To the right of the picture is the coastguard station.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Steve McShane and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2005
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ3769, 280 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for NZ3769)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 April, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 27 October, 2005
Category
Religious buildings > Priory   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 37 69 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 55:1.1183N 1:24.9030W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 134 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved