SX2553 : Looe Bridge

taken 42 years ago, near to Looe, Cornwall, Great Britain

Looe Bridge
Looe Bridge
East and West Looe existed as early as the 12th century, divided by the Looe River. In 1411 the towns were connected by a wooden estuary bridge, the earliest in Cornwall. This burned down and was replaced by the first stone bridge in 1436, which featured a chapel dedicated to St. Anne at its centre. Celia Fiennes recorded in 1698 that the bridge had 14 arches. This was replaced in 1853 by the current seven-arched bridge about a hundred yards further upstream, so this picture was taken from about the position of the old bridge.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Trevor Rickard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SX2553, 330 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
June 1975   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 7 March, 2008
Category
Bridge   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SX 253 535 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:21.3432N 4:27.3590W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SX 254 533
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register