TQ5178 : Erith Pier (2)

taken 9 years ago, near to Erith, Bexley, Great Britain

Erith Pier (2)
Erith Pier (2)
The present pier was opened in 1957 replacing an older wooden structure, and allowed large cargo ships to berth at Erith. The pier was acquired by Morrison's in 1999 and extensively refurbished as part of their nearby supermarket development. The pier began life as a straightforward structure sticking out into the river, but between about 1895 and 1910 it acquired a second arm to the west enabling the pier railway to loop back to the land. At that time there were extensive railway sidings serving the wharves where the Morrison's supermarket is now. This configuration lasted until at least the Second World War. Today the second arm has been demolished and the modern pier now has an inverted L-shape. At the very end of the pier can be seen the distant landmark of the Littlebrook power station chimney.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5178, 125 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 2 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 7 March, 2008
Category
Piers > Piers   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 518 781 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:28.8894N 0:11.0817E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 517 781
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 304 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register