TQ5374 : Dartford Manor Gatehouse

taken 9 years ago, near to Dartford, Kent, Great Britain

Dartford Manor Gatehouse
Dartford Manor Gatehouse
This building is all that remains above ground of the Manor House complex built in Dartford for King Henry VIII between 1541 and 1544. The Manor was one of several built for Henry to stay in on his journeys between London and the Kent coast.This was the western Gatehouse to the Manor, so the magnitude of the main building can be imagined. The whole complex occupied an area of about 12 acres or about 5 hectares with buildings and formal gardens. The Manor was later occupied by Anne of Cleves, Henry's fourth wife, between 1553 and 1557.

The building, which is in Priory Road, is now in use as the Dartford Register Office.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5374, 120 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 2 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 8 March, 2008
Category
Manor house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 539 743 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:26.8068N 0:12.7957E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 539 743
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TQ5374)
This page has been viewed about 1175 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register