SP5107 : Sir James Murray's letterbox

taken 9 years ago, near to Marston, Oxfordshire, Great Britain

Sir James Murray's letterbox
Sir James Murray's letterbox
Directly outside No.78 Banbury Road stands this Victorian pillarbox. Its odd positioning can be explained by the plaque above:
Sir James Murray
Editor of the Oxford English Dictionary
lived here 1885-1915.
This was the period covering the bulk of his labours towards the completion of the mammoth dictionary and his correspondence with contributors was so intensive that a personal letterbox was installed to cope with it.
See LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright ceridwen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP5107, 275 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 4 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 8 March, 2008
Category
Postbox   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 510 079 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:46.0474N 1:15.6888W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 510 079
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 125 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register