TG1938 : View towards St Margaret's church

taken 10 years ago, near to Felbrigg, Norfolk, Great Britain

View towards St Margaret's church
View towards St Margaret's church
From public footpath through Felbrigg estate. St Margaret's church > TG1939 : St Margaret's church - view west is located east of Felbrigg Hall. It was built during the 1450s by Simon de Felbrigg, who is commemorated, together with his first wife Margaret, by the most noteworthy of a number of fine brasses in the church > TG1939 : St Margaret's church - memorial brass. The life-size brass is situated at the eastern end of the nave and protected by a carpet. Sir Simon is one of only six Knights of the Garter, and his wife Margaret was cousin to Anne of Bohemia (wife of Richard II). The church also contains a large number of wall monuments to members of the Wyndham family > TG1939 : St Margaret's church - memorial. The octagonal baptismal font dates from the 14th century > TG1939 : St Margaret's church - baptismal font, as does the sedilia, damaged beyond repair when the early 19th century monument to William Windham was built directly into them > TG1939 : St Margaret's church - memorial. William Windham was one of England's best-known and most eloquent statesmen at the turn of the 18th century; his monument was made by Joseph Nollekens. The church is open every day. For more information see: LinkExternal link

The history of Felbrigg estate dates back to the middle ages, when a member of the Norman family of Bigod took the name Felbrigg and built a manor house on the site of the present Hall, in the early 15th century. In around 1450 Felbrigg was acquired by John Wyndham, a wealthy merchant from the Norfolk town of Wymondham. The manor house was altered and added on to by following generations until a family member, "Mad Windham", almost ruined the estate and was forced to sell it in 1863, with all its contents. The estate was purchased by John Ketton, a Norwich merchant, whose daughter married a distant cousin of "Mad Windham". Their grandson, Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer (d. 1969) bequeathed the Felbrigg Hall and estate to the National Trust. See > TG1939 : View towards Felbrigg Hall for view of Felbrigg Hall.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1938, 30 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 14 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Friday, 14 March, 2008
View > View   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 196 389 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:54.1837N 1:15.9025E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 195 388
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TG1938)
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register