SP5878 : Detail of organ and hatchments

taken 45 years ago, near to Stanford on Avon, Northamptonshire, Great Britain

Detail of organ and hatchments
Detail of organ and hatchments
The organ in St Nicholas' church was built about 1630 for the Chapel Royal at Whitehall and came to Stanford via a brief sojourn at Magdalen College, Oxford; it is one of only eight British instruments surviving from before the Restoration of 1660. The crown surmounting the mitre atop the central tower of pipes symbolizes the supposed "divine right" of kings to govern the church, and the lozenges on either side of the organ case are funeral hatchments commemorating deceased local gentry of the Cave family.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tiger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP5878, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
August 1972   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 19 March, 2008
Category
Organ   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 588 788 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:24.2755N 1:8.1741W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 588 788
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 59 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register