SU1389 : St Andrew's church, Blunsdon St Andrew

taken 9 years ago, near to Blunsdon st Andrew, Swindon, Great Britain

St Andrew's church, Blunsdon St Andrew
St Andrew's church, Blunsdon St Andrew
The church is unusual in having a north-facing entrance. Typically churches have their main doors in the southern aspect. The church itself is Grade II* listed. The following information is extracted from the local authority website (Swindon.gov.uk)

"Church of St Andrew DCMS Ref: 7/90
Tadpole Lane Grade: II*
Blunsdon St Andrew First Listed: 26.01.55
Medieval traces. Practically rebuilt by Butterfield 1868. Small country church of rubble with red tile roof. C15 style grafted on early English. Chancel, nave and south aisle, west bell turret with 2 bells and odd spirelet. Three bay nave with central gabled porch to north with quatrefoil vent and trefoil heads to side buttresses. Hollow chamfered surround to pointed doorway (possibly C13), wrought iron strap hinges. A2 and a 3-light square headed Perpendicular style window with mouchette heads. Plain ashlar dressed paired lights to lower later 2 bay chancel with gabled organ vestry to north. Three light geometrical east window (with, inside, a foiled 'rere-arch' - in fact foiled reveal). The west front appears to be a different build: rough-faced rubble with ashlar bands. Central belfry break with 2 foiled openings and crenellated parapet to hipped roof; small octagonal spirelet and weathervane; this break is linked by wall thickening and buttress to small door to south-west with Caernarvon arch.
Foiled vesca-shape opening to right. Boiler house and chimney to south-west.
Interior: reused plain circa 1200 doorway (now a niche). Low 3 bay arcade, C13. Butterfield reredos, altar-rails, sedilia and pews retained. Nave roof: king post type with foiled braces. Rubble churchyard wall to south and to west, gabled doorway formerly entrance from Abbey. Numerous medieval fragments - sculpted stones, medieval tiles and some traces of an arcade found during work of 1868, indicating a later church in the Middle Ages."
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU1389, 14 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 23 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 23 March, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 135 896 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:36.3423N 1:48.3184W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 135 896
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 1316 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register