SS8176 : Porthcawl Outer Harbour at low water

taken 9 years ago, near to Porthcawl, Bridgend/Pen-y-Bont ar Ogwr, Great Britain

Porthcawl Outer Harbour at low water
Porthcawl Outer Harbour at low water
In 1889 the port handled more than 800 vessels, most of them loaded with coal. In that year the new docks were opened at Barry and those in Port Talbot opened in 1898. These docks were larger, deeper and far more modern and by 1903 Porthcawl was handling less than 3000 tons. The inner harbour closed in 1906 but ships used the outer harbour until 1911.

The outer harbour is now used by a variety of fishing vessels and leisure craft, although the historic ship 'Balmoral' berths occasionally on the main breakwater, where the water is deeper.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SS8176, 247 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 24 March, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 29 March, 2008
Category
Harbour   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 819 764 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:28.4739N 3:42.0775W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 819 765
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 80 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register