SJ3193 : The Magazine public house

near to Wallasey, Wirral, Great Britain

The Magazine public house
The Magazine public house
Pub situated in the Magazines area of New Brighton which owes its unusual name to its association with the servicing and storage of ship gunpowder for the Port of Liverpool. The gunpowder magazine can be dated back to 1751 replacing the original powder magazine, built in 1737, in the Brownlow Hill area of Liverpool which was relocated to Wirral in response to population safety concerns and development pressure in the city. The powder magazine was well used in the days when, in the interests of safety, the tall ships first had to deposit their gunpowder in the store before sailing on to berth. In 1851, amid growing concern over the quantities being stored, the magazines were emptied and the gunpowder was transported up river to floating hulks anchored in the Mersey between New Ferry and Eastham.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Sue Adair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ3193, 54 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Wednesday, 17 August, 2005   (more nearby)
Saturday, 12 November, 2005
Public house > Public house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 314 931 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:25.8123N 3:2.0364W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 479 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved